Monday, August 11, 2014

The Final Tour of a Musical Journey: Part 1- A final new year

I was going to start a different blog in itself for this, but I'm not good with thinking up a good title and, well, I haven't been making many entries in this one, so might as well go with trying to maintain this one.

This post is the start of tracking my journey through my final year with the University of Cincinnati Bearcat Bands.  If you haven't seen previous blogs on this, I'll elaborate.  I've been in college for 10 years, 9 of which in the UC Band starting this year.   I've gone through a major medical dilemma in having been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and having 3 surgeries to remove the affected areas.  I think I've covered that enough in my previous blogs.   This blog serves as a stepping stone of sorts.  In my time involved with the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA), its occurred to me that there are a lot of younger folks that have to suffer though IBD.  I've only experienced the disease through college, and that in itself was a challenge to maintain the lifestyle I wanted.  I can't begin to imagine what its like to have those diseases in grade school or high school.  Long story short, I came to be inspired to stay in band for a while, not only because I love to play and that its helped in this major transition in my life, but I want this decision to be an example for those who have their future ahead of them to know that being diagnosed with IBD isn't the end of the road.

Overall, I hope this blog serves to express all the emotions and interpretations of all the things that transpire over my final year in the UC Band.  And it'll start this week as I embark on my final band camp ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment