Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Final Tour of a Musical Journey: Part 3- Band Camp Conclusion

I kind of had a moment of clarity today.  I am writing this on the final day of band camp as I don't think I can bring up these thoughts again.

 Leading up to my final years in the UC band, there are some things I just wanted to be able to remember.  One of them was my final band camp.  I suppose I had some thoughts as how it might go.  During my first few years, I figured it'd be somewhat typical of a college band student, go for 4 or 5 years, have a few good laughs, reminisce on the shenanigans that are par for the course of being part of such a group, and be done with it.

Most of the day ran like usual for a final day at band camp, our director nit picking the shows we were doing, lots of cleaning of music and marching drill sets, and, as a typical part of a UC band camp, give a show at the end.  With my first few years at the away camp we were sent to, it was more of a big thank you for the camp staff.  With camp on campus, it took kind of a different feel.  Having that feeling of knowing a lot of alumni in the audience and people who have supported me a ton through the tough parts felt empowering for lack of a better word.  That particular performance for this year's band camp felt a little bigger, had more meaning than even a lot of the performances I've done in front of bigger venues and audiences.  Its been a while since I've that much emotion into a marching show, at least since the 2 years I was still marching between and after my surgeries.  I will say that the downside to bringing that kind of energy and intensity to a marching show for me is that it is extremely draining on me, but its the kind of tired where you sit there and in the back of your mind, you come off very satisfied.  I know as musicians, we do push ourselves, even to the point of frustration, to get things perfect, but the flip side of that is seeing what that work does when its performed.   That moment of satisfaction is one of the main reasons I stuck to marching band.

And so, the 2014-2015 season beings for the University of Cincinnati Bearcat Bands.  More to come as things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment