Sunday, June 30, 2013

My Favorite Parks

For this last look into things about the amusement park industry that I like, I'd like to bring up parks that I've been to which left a good impression on me.  This list may throw out some surprises as I look at several things when judging parks.  I also look to how they cater to my specific tastes as well as from an operations standpoint.  I'll just let the list speak for itself.  Some of this list may be dictated for the time I did visit these parks as some I haven't visited in quite a while.


9. Six Flags Great Adventure- Last visit- 2000

This was my first Six Flags park, which turned out to be everything I expected from a Six Flags park at the time, lots of Warner Brothers theming and a fair selection of rides.  A lot of their rides at the time, such as Rolling Thunder and the defunct Viper didn't leave a good impression, but Medusa and Batman The Ride made up for that.  The upkeep was pretty good, though the single train operations and staff left a lot to be desired.  I would love to get back here to ride a lot of their additions since I last went, like Nitro, Kingda Ka and El Toro.


8. Kings Dominion- Last visit- 2002

I kind of had a good idea of what Kings Dominion was all about with the many visits to my home park, Kings Island.  Kings Dominion is set up a lot like its Ohio sister park, though then, it didn't play up the Paramount themes as well as Kings Island.  A lot of their rides didn't have the best line throughput so it had quite a few lengthy lines, such as on Volcano and Hypersonic.  The park has a good selection of rides and the familiarity of a fellow Paramount Park was welcoming.


7. Hersheypark- Last Visit- 2008

The Sweetest Place on Earth is a park very reminiscent of the early age of amusement parks of the early 1900's.  Started in 1907, its one of the oldest parks in the United States.  A lot of their classic rides like their Carousel and the wooden Comet are in great shape and, I imagine, run like they did when they debuted.  And they REALLY play up the Hershey products through the park, from ride names to categories of height requirements based on their candies.  All of their rides are pretty fun with a few standouts such as Storm Runner, Great Bear, the Kissing Tower, and Lightning Racer.  They could use some better flats though with only a few worth noting such as The Claw.  Still, its simple, old school nature combined with modern attractions makes for quite an intriguing park.



6. Kings Island- Last visit- Home Park

Yes, my home park only comes up as 6th, with a lot of things that Kings Dominion suffers from in a lot of rides with under performing capacities for a park of its size and stature.  This has a bit better of a ride selection, water park, and food than Kings Dominion and, being Paramount's most favored park, got a lot with theming and rides that played to that.  There are many problems that occured under Paramount, which is for another discussion, but what they did do well, it shined the most at Kings Island.  It also helps that my favorite wood and steel coaster are at Kings Island as well.  The shows are also pretty good.


5. Walt Disney World EPCOT Center- Last visit- 1998

I'm probably not the best person to get into judging Disney parks, especially EPCOT since I haven't been there in a very long time, but I'll try to give some insight.  Along with Disney's excellent job in running parks, EPCOT is something a bit out of the ordinary with some neat areas such as the World Showcase.  Their presentations of different countries and cultures was great in how they brought some of those areas to life.  I probably would have liked it better had I been around for attractions such as Mission: Mars and Test Track.



4. Cedar Point- Last Visit- 2011

America's Roller Coast and the former Coaster Capital of the World does a heap of great things.  Boasting the best collection of coasters, flat rides, shows and food of the traditional parks I've been to, Cedar Point has a lot for everyone.  It is hard to argue with 16 roller coasters and other rides like MaXair, Skyhawk, Power Tower, Cedar Downs, and their railroad, which still keeps its animatronics in working order, something you don't see much at parks anymore.  Still, it does lack some theming and for a park of its stature, its water park is really lack luster.  


3. Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom- Last Visit- 1998

I think this requires little introduction.  Magic Kingdom was all it's built up to be and then blows you away.  Everything from the grandeur of Main Street, to Cinderella Castle's royal presence, the theming of the different areas, and all the things Walter Elias Disney envisioned when he created his parks is truly a masterpiece of theme parks anywhere.  Things like attention to detail and really immersing guests in the films and themes is just unparalleled almost anywhere else, which leads me to #2.


2. Universal Studios Florida- Last Visit- 1998

This has a lot of the same qualities of Disney, but the movies and themes they have to choose from are a bit more varied which equates to more practical methods of throwing you in the action of your favorite movies, which is a plus for me as Disney themes can get a bit tedious for the more grown up bunch.  With my last visit in 1998, I did get to ride a lot of the old school rides like Back to the Future, King Kong, Jaws, and Earthquake, all of which were fantastic.  It was also when Nickelodeon had a home there, which, being a kid and visiting them at the height of their popularity was a real treat.  

I'm probably going to get a lot of flak for my favorite park, especially with it above the likes of Universal Studios, Disney and Cedar Point, but there is a lot that goes into why its that way plus remember, this is based on my opinion, so without further ado...


1. Dollywood- Last Visit- 2009

Dollywood, a country themed park in the middle of Pigeon Forge with the affirmation of Dolly Parton's image scattered everywhere is quite the unique park.  It has a lot for everybody, and I mean everybody.  It caters to thrill riders with a few great rides like Thunderhead, Daredevil Falls, and Mystery Mine.  It has rides for the younger set with its Country Fair section.  It has scenic rides such as the Dollywood Express, which ventures on a 5 mile loop with great views of the Smoky Mountains with a real steam locomotive at the helm.  The food is out of this world with great country dinners, bbq and grilled food.  The shows are spectacular with a lot of productions and music created by Dolly herself.  Arts and crafts let people walk around and relax.  It all comes together so well, and the theming, I would say, is on par with the likes of Disney, but much more affordable.  The staff in particular are my favorite out of any park I've been to with a real down to Earth approach.  Truly an underrated gem of a park.  







No comments:

Post a Comment