Thursday, July 11, 2013

The J-Pouch

Before I go on, I would like to put out this disclaimer.  I am in no way, shape or form a doctor or a medical expert.  My goal is to spread awareness and information with various sources at my disposal to put out there.  Though I went through the procedure I'm about to explain, I can't vouch about it being the best decision when one is faced with how to deal with colon disease(s).  You and your doctor must determine that on your own, for this may not be the best way to go for everyone.

Also read this at your own discretion as this can be a tough subject for some. 

Most of this information comes from CCFA.org and j-pouch.org, which are two websites I highly recommend for any information concerning this topic.

So, I spent a little over 2 years with ulcerative colitis before it was determined I needed the surgery.  My specific case of colitis spread very quickly, to the point where I had to have my colon and rectum removed with all the damage done.  It was obvious at that point it was colitis, for if it was that bad and I had Crohn's, I'd probably be in a lot worse shape.  It was brought on as an emergency procedure as my body was pretty much withering away with my body rejecting food and water and with my colon in such bad shape.  The whole thing took a year, including 3 surgeries and around 100 days in the hospital, 68 of that in my first stay due to how hard it was for my body to cope, what with being racked with colitis and having to deal with the new anatomy.  I don't have as many limitations on diet as I did when I had colitis, and with it going on 4 years since my last surgery, I've learned and gained strength to control a lot of how I feel, mainly in controlling cramps and not having to go to the bathroom as much day to day.   It's about as close to my pre-colitis perception of 'normal' as I'm going to get.

Anyways, here's what happened during those 3 surgeries for me, though this can be narrowed down to two if you're not in an emergency situation like I was.  First, obviously, the colon and rectum were completely removed, just to get the colitis out of my body.  At that point, since things down where the rectum used to be are healing, the end of the small intestine comes out through a small protrusion, or stoma, in the abdomen.  To handle waste, I had to wear an ostomy pouch, which was emptied a few times a day.  I went that way for about a year before my second surgery as I wanted to try and get some school in between.  For surgery 2, I had the actual j-pouch made.  That is where a loop is made from the last few portions of the small intestine, which requires some stretching.  The goal is to make this new area a place for waste to be stored, much as your rectum did.  The end of the pouch is then connected to the anal area and sphincter muscles (I think its more technical than that, this is a simplification).  The removing of the colon and the j-pouch creation can be done in one surgery.  At that point, a temporary ostomy is created to allow the pouch area to heal and check for leaking before it gets used.  This may take a few months.  The final step is to route the tract back to the pouch and close the stoma hole.  It'll take about 6 months to a year before everything is running as it should, both in the body getting used to things as well as expanding your diet back to having a good variety.

Most of the foods not recommended are high fiber items, such as leafy vegetables, fruit skins, nuts, seeds, eggshells, or tougher meats, all of which can cause clogging (which, from experience, is very painful).  Corn and celery are tops on that list.  Foods that cause gas, beans in particular, are also best to be avoided as air pockets can cause cramping.  Chewing gum can also create air pockets as you swallow air when you chew gum, plus for me, I'm deftly afraid of swallowing the gum.  I have some slight symptoms that have carried over from colitis, mainly the lactose intolerance as a lot of creamier things bother me, in particular, alfredo sauce, ranch dressing, and a few creamier cheeses.

The BIG thing is water, since that was one of the colon's main jobs.  A combination of drinking liquids through the day as well as eating small meals throughout the day will keep the body hydrated as well as prevent some cramping.  Eating small meals through the day is also easier for the digestive tract whether you have digestion problems or not.

And to put things in perspective if you've seen my previous blogs, I still do band and the like even after having gone through all that, which I think I've laid that out pretty clear. I hope this is helpful for those in search of information.

No comments:

Post a Comment